Thursday, October 7, 2010

DRYAD

How single and alone I am tonight,
how narrow when I wake.
My sighs are not real,
but shaped like tear drops, even so.
I am shaking,
like birches in the wind,
and will the wind.
In spring and summer I am green,
the birds love me,
and they sing in my branches,
but I cannot give real shade,
only the spattered patterns
light has made between.
I wake, wavering, in a dream
have I seen my foot
through to the skeleton,
where the bones froth, like a sea
of wanting, shooting quills of folly:
and if I run, who will die,
when all is done,
as done it all must be?
Will I die, or shall it be the tree?
I am spell-caught,
could I come if one should call,
or touch with love the leaves that fall?
Should I then be free?
Or am I only tree?


© 2010 Charlotte Merrill Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment