Sunday, December 5, 2010

MYSTERY

I wonder
what is going on in my magpie mind, that is so
intent upon saving the bits and pieces
in a kind of cheerful squalor, fiercely
hanging onto the stuff of daily life.
This morning one of the cats knocked the laundry hamper
over, and the resounding thwack! jerked me awake to the day;
the other one threw up
when I sat down to a peaceful cup of coffee.
I muse on the last of the roses,
tucked into a small goldfish bowl,
the goldfish long gone.
Didn't one of the kids
win that fish at a church fiesta?
What happened to it?
It wasn't Willie Mayes, who lived to an ancient age, and
my daughter has Romeo, who is so
old
that his scales have turned white, Romeo is a daily marvel.
And Lily and Lola lived to be three, they were the white mice
my son carried in his pocket to alarm female guests.
See what I mean?
What would this mess of a mind sustain itself with, if
it were forced to rely on its own insular resources?
On a desert island, or locked up somewhere?
Have all those books I read morphed into
this mysterious mish mosh?
Where are my real thoughts?
But I'm happy.
And the poetry surfaces often enough
that I'm on the edge of knowing that something good
may be going on in there.
I would forget it if I didn't write it down.
I hope I have a pen in my pocket
when I land on that island, where
in the silence
I am alone with me, alone on that island
every day.


© 2010 Charlotte Merrill Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment